Re: [vox-tech] Primary vs. Extended Partitions

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Ryan wrote:

> I'm speaking form experiance, LILO couldn't convince windows 98 to boot on my
> laptop when I had 2 primary linux partitions after it. (I countered by
> deleting windows, haven't missed it.)

When you partition the drive, make sure you partition Windows' partition
first using DOS's FDISK.  Then install Windows, then partition out Linux
partitions, then install Linux.  Windows is very particular about cylinder
boundaries and such so it's best to let it configure itself, and it's best
to do that before installing Linux to avoid other potential problems.
Things should work fine afterwards.

To do the above, follow these steps (assuming nothing's on HD):

   1.  Boot from Windows98 CD.
   1a. Select "Boot from CD."
   1b. Select "Start DOS with CDROM suppport."
   1c. On my brand new spankin' TDK CD-RW 40x24x10 drive, I need to eject
       CD then reinsert it.  I guess the drivers can't handle the speed :)

   2.  Run FDISK in A:
   2a. Remove any partition that's already on HD
   2b. Add a new Windows partition of the size you want.
   2c. Set the Windows partition as the active partition.

   3.  Reboot.

   4.  Repeat 1 through 1c.

   5.  Go to D:\win98, where D: is your CDROM drive.
   5a. `format c:` to format C: drive.

   6.  `d:\setup.exe` to start Windows installation.
   6a. Go through the whole installation procedure shbang.

   7.  Reboot and install Linux.  When asked, partition HD appropriately.
   7a. What I like to do is install LILO on the primary Linux partition.
       For example, on /dev/hda2.  If you do this, then you'll need to
       set /dev/hda2 as the active partition.  Should this not be possible
       under your Linux distribution, then Windows will boot instead;
       thankfully, you can set /dev/hda2 as the active partition under
       Windows.

> Now with just the 2 linux partitions the 1st one on the hard drive is
> /dev/hda3 and the 2nd (swap) is /dev/hda2. This strikes me as odd.....

Whenever you have a "hole" in your partition table, things get very
weird.  In the future, consider filling the holes with random-type
partitions.  Things also get confusing if your Windows partition is not
all at the beginning of the partitions.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim