[vox-tech] joystick under 2.4.10

My joystick isn't working correctly since upgrading to 2.4.10 kernel
(this is on a RedHat 7.1 system).

It's a standard analog stick (two of them, actually, so I know it's not
a hardware problem with the sticks) connected to a SoundBlaster (16?).
Just a regular 13-pin gameport.

Back in the 2.2 days, I'd use the "joystick.o" and "joy-analog.o" drivers
and everything worked great.

Under 2.4, Gabe pointed out there's new "Input Core" stuff in the kernel,
which I need.  So, I enabled...

Input core
* Input core support
  * Joystick support

Character Devices
  Joysticks
    * Game port support
      * Classic ISA/PnP gameports      [ is this right?! ]
                                       [ do I want "SB Live! gameports"?? ]
    Joysticks
      * Classic PC analog joysticks and gamepads

Anyway, the symptom is that buttons work (both sticks have 4 unique buttons,
and they all register when I try to run games, or use "jstest"), but
neither axis (left/right or up/down) do anything.  Always locked at exactly
"0,0". :(

Any tips?

Thx!