Re: [vox-tech] fonts for teaching children

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:30:31AM -0700, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> Thanks for posting / reposting this to vox-tech Pete.  I actually read
> this on SEUL-edu as well.
>
> I actually found most of these references for fonts online as well.  The
> main problem I see is that I can not find any free fonts that are in the
> D' Nealian style that have the additional ruler grids.  Don't get me
> wrong, I do not mind for paying for fonts that I use personally.  I do
> have a problem with not being able to write a free educational
> application and not being able to distribute a free font with it.

But you can find D'Nealian fonts lacking grids? Depending on how you want to
use the fonts, adding the gridpoints might be doable. There a few
possibilities:

* You will use bitmaps. Make a bitmap from each letter and then use
  imagemagick, netpbm, or gimp script-fu to add grids.

* You can use an autotracing tool that outputs postscript type 3 fonts from a
  intermediate bitmap. Quality can be just fine if the starting bitmaps are
  high-resolution.

* Dissasemble a type 1 font and edit by hand. Not recommended unless you
  really like postscript ;-)

--
Henry House