Re: [vox-tech] debian package ideas

begin: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> quote
> Hey all,
>
> here's a question that i've been thinking about for a couple of weeks but
> haven't looked into yet:
>
> I know that all the x86 debian packages are compiled for the lowest common
> denominator. However, I'd like to take advantage of anything gcc can do to
> optimize for my fancy pentium+ chip.
>
> is there a simple way to tell apt-get to build packages from source, then
> install?

of course.  this is debian.  you can do anything.

apt-get -b source mypackage      (-b == --custom)

> could I easily recompile all (or nearly all) my existing packages in a similar
> manner?

easily?  i dunno.  you may have to play around with something like dpkg -l
"*" | grep -v escription | awk { print $0 }

> if not, (or even if yes), should i bother?

absolutely not.  only the choicest of packages will benefit.  i don't know if
'ls' or 'cp' would benefit at all.  otoh, gcc just might.

> I would be willing to write a
> script to do this for me, but maybe this is something that someone else has
> already looked into?

give it go.  just don't do it on a system you care about.

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002