Re: [vox-tech] Secure Email Access (fetchmail and ssh)

ME wrote:
> If the network is a switched network between the two hosts, then you have
> a higher level of security from sniffing since the sniffer would see
> nothing but the first ethernet frame from unknown MAC to unknown
> MAC/Broadcast MAC unless the switch was configured (puposefully) to flood
> to a sniffer-port with a sniffer running on it, or "break" the switch and
> make it into a repeater and then see all traffic (prob result in a
> RMON/SNMP trap/trigger if the switch was well set up and notify the
> network admin) and then have a sniffer on one of those ports being
> flooded.

Unless, of course, you had a talented person who ARP'd the switch
with the mail server's MAC address, hijacking the bit stream
to their own port. Not that this is likely. Just a thought.

Chuck Polisher
--
"Oh bother," said the Borg, "We have assimilated Pooh".