Re: [vox-tech] mutt question

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 09:52:47AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all (and henry ;) )
>

> when i use the / key from the message index, it searches for a string within
> the subject field of an email.
>
> very often, i want to search for emails by a person's name.
>
> how do i perform searches on the from field of an email?

I had a similar question recently.  In elm, you could type "//" to search
the bodies of messages.  I couldn't figure out how to do that in Mutt
until I bothered hitting "?" (for the help pages) and searchng "/" for
the word "search" :)

Try [Esc] [B]  - it will search "bodies," which might include headers,
too.  (eg, the "From" field)

There's also a nifty tool which I haven't played with much myself,
called "grepmail"

And, of course, there's always plain ol' "grep" (use some context, then
pipe it to 'less' or another 'grep' for "^Subject: ")