[vox-tech] X, SSH across Internet through NAT

[vox-tech] X, SSH across Internet through NAT

Is this possible, I have (crappy) linksys dsl router/NAT devices set up
on other sides of the internet.  Behind one is my SSH client, behind the
other is my SSH server (on my deb box):

SSH                                  SSHd
Client                               Debian
(putty)                              192.168.5.102
192.168.5.100
     |                                  |
     |                                  |
     |                                  |
     |               internet           |
192.168.5.254   ===================  192.168.5.254
Linksys                              Linksys
NAT                                  NAT
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx                      yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

I am able to SSH from the client to the server, but when I try to start an
xterm:

192.168.5.102:jstrauss> xterm -display xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

It just hangs.  Now I figure I can't really send the display to the linksys
device in front of my client, but where
else can I send it?  I can't send it to 192.168.5.100, cause it will try to
route to it's local LAN.  Is what I'm trying impossible?  I thought you
could run X through (some sort of encrypted tunnel) ssh all the way back to
the client.

One more thing, when I'm pick up my laptop and bring it home (onto the LAN
where my sshd is located).  I'm able to get an xterm sent sent locally, but
how do I know its even using the ssh tunnel and not just sending it clear
text?

Gracias as always
Jay

Jay Strauss