Re: [vox-tech] Building a computer

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

>       - Fast bus speed.  I don't know much about this... I think 133MHz
>         for Intel CPU and 200MHz for AMD CPU is good?

Umm..  that's where it gets fuzzy.  PCI bus is still at 33MHz.  Memory is
at 66, 100, & 133MHz.  Front side buses are at 100 (for the P3, I think),
266 (133 actually but DDR'd, meaning double data rate), and 400MHz (P4,
but that doesn't mean it actually runs faster than a lower speed Athlon
Thunderbird).

>    4. Get RAM.  Get the type that's fastest yet compatible with your
>       motherboard (most motherboard support different types so you can
>       use an older RAM in them.)  Probably 256MB is good, but more the
>       better.  Get all memory on one stick (ie - if getting 256MB, get
>       one stick with 256MB, not two with 128MB each.) -- this will make
>       upgrading easier and cheaper later (you can upgrade just by adding
>       more RAM to open slots, not replace the existing ones.)

Make sure you get a motherboard (mobo in many articles you will read when
doing research) with DDR RAM.  I/O bottlenecks are affecting speed more
and more.  Plus, DDR RAM isn't that much more expensive compared to PC133
memory nowadays.

>       If getting IDE, avoid Western Digital or IBM -- they got bad
>       reps at the moment.

IBM had one article on them about their 75XP drives.  No big deal.  :P

Yeah, yeah, I'm picking apart your guide when I offered only a few
sentences.  Sorry.  :D

FL