Re: [vox-tech] ssh help needed

begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:24:08PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> [...]
> > i've telneted to port 22, and here's where the trouble begins:
> >
> >    satan# telnet (problematic machine) 22
> >    Trying (problematic machine)...
> >    Connected to (problematic machine).
> >    Escape character is '^]'.
> >    Connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > compare this with:
> >
> >    satan# telnet belial 22
> >    Trying 169.237.43.86...
> >    Connected to belial.ucdavis.edu.
> >    Escape character is '^]'.
> >    SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9p2
> >
> > i know that ssh can be built to use tcpwrappers, but suppose /etc/hosts.deny
> > isn't the problem.  also, suppose sshd is running.
>
> That's an odd way to state it ;-). Do you mean that you have already checked
> and ruled out these possibilities?

well, kind of.  i haven't looked at the wrapper files myself, but the person
didn't modify them (except to comment out the ALL: PARANOID line).   so i'm
assuming that's not the problem.  debian doesn't ship with stuff in the
wrapper files (i'm not even sure if debian ships with libwrapper support in
ssh).  i know it's not run from within inetd.conf.

> Otherwise, perhaps a bad firewall rule?

i'm not sure that's the problem either, i'm afraid.  i'm pretty sure there
are no ipchain rules on this machine (and no firewall machine that i know
of).

some days i get the strangest feeling that computers hate me...

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002