Re: [vox-tech] weird boot message

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 08:35:05AM -0800, Aaron King wrote:
> I've got Mandrake 8.1 running on my Celeron 700 MHz laptop and, while
> staring stupidly at the login message one morning, I noticed that it
> reported a 197 MHz CPU.  This morning, it says it lives on a 287MHz
> CPU.  This is what dmesg says as well.

Some CPUs boards have power saving features used to throttle the speed of
the CPU (mostly laptops where power savings is an issue).

Check in your BIOS and see about disabling some power management
capabilities, or forcing your CPU to not save power by slowing down. Many
new laptops have worked with windows with this to allow special access
from the OS to throttle the speed of the CPU. It is possible that apmd has
access to this, or apm support in your kernel allows for apmd to talk to
your system, but this is just a blind guess.

If you are not controlling this, then your hardware may be misinterpreting
inforation from the kernel/a service as requests to change the speed of
the CPU.

When you see these messages, are you coming from windows (having left
windows) a cold boot, warm reboot, ?

-ME