Re: [vox-tech] hotswapping an IDE drive?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Chuck Polisher wrote:

> Foo Lim wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone wanna try this out?
>   <SNIP>
> > 8. IDE Hot-Swapping
> >
> > 12 Mar (3 posts) Archive Link: Ide Hot-swaping?
> >
> > Pozsar Balazs asked if it were possible to hot-swap IDE drives. Jeremy
> > Jackson replied, "read a recent man page for hdparm and you will see
> > kernel allows remove/add ide interface. scripts with correct parameter
>
>   <SNIP>
>
> Foo, one problem I see is pulling the power connector off of the
> drive. If the ground pins disconnect first, it's bye-bye drive.

Thanks, Chuck.  *I* wasn't going to do it.  I just put it out for some
brave individual to try it.  :)

BTW, how do servers with hot-swappable SCSI drives deal with this?  Does
this mean power supply manufacturers will soon be releasing better and
more flexible power connectors for regular consumption?  (I wouldn't hold
my breath.)

FL