Re: [vox-tech] hardware relate problem

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, andy huang wrote:

> i have 2 hd , 2 cd rom, 1 zip .
>
> how i suppose to connect to my 1 primary and 1 secondary ide?

Are all five devices IDE?  Then you got a problem -- most motherboards
only support up to 4 IDE devices.  You'll need to get a new IDE board and
find a free IRQ (I *think* that works...)

> i heard hd are always put in primary.

Not true.  You can put a hard drive on a secondary.  Actually, there's one
running on my system right now.  It's just that you don't get the maximum
performance if you don't a the hard drive anything other than primary
master.

> but if i use 2nd ide for 2 cd
> rom , my burner will never perform real 16 x burning speed in cd copy.
> so any idea what i should do?

I'd put HDs on the primary of each IDE and put the CDs on the secondary of
each IDE.  Even then, I'd avoid CD-to-CD since it's not that
reliable.  Perhaps you've had better experience with CD-to-CD...

-Mark (has 24X burner, but burns at 16X because he has no 24X blank CDRs...)

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/