[vox-tech] Re: Athlon + Soltek + RH7.2 won't boot

[vox-tech] Re: Athlon + Soltek + RH7.2 won't boot

begin: Paul Miller <paul@localhost.localdomain> quote
> I am (unsuccessfully so far)  trying to get an Athlon 1.4G machine with a SolteK Socket A SL-75DRV motherboard upgraded from RedHat 7.1 to 7.2.
>
> The system was working, but it often hangs on startup and does not bring up the display. I was hoping the upgrade might fix that problem.

fwiw, i had misery with amd architecture until two things happened:

1. got an amd approved power supply
2. got an amd approved heatsink and fan (got the "coolermeister")

the system didn't even post until both things happened.  now the things works
like like screamin' speed demon.

> This is what I have done so far.
>
> Repartioned the disk.  There are 2 IDE drives and 2 SCSI drives in the machine.
> The machine booted from the first SCSI drive and I left it that way.
>
> I chose the ext3 file system.
>
> Here is where it fails.
>
> Verifying DMI Pool Data .............
> Boot from ATAP[graphic symbol shows here) CDROM :

i submit that this has nothing to do with linux -- it looks like your bios
is just about done posting and updating the plugnplay info before passing
control over to whatever the system is going to boot off of.

also, are you trying to boot off a cdrom?

> I am certainly no expert on PCI but it looks like interrupt problems to me.

i dunno...

> Before the upgrade I noticed dmesg says there is a spurious interrupt on IRQ 7 but that has been there for quite a while.

i get that alot too on my amd system.  it happens with every boot.

> Any troubleshooting advice is appreciated.

are you saying the system worked perfectly, then you upgraded, and now it
doesn't?

btw, your return address is pretty screwed up -- your return address is
"localhost.localdomain".

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002