Re: [vox-tech] mount difficulties

matt,

one of the most important questions when something like this arises is:

     what has changed since it last worked?

did you recompile the kernel?  update any packages?

next, look in /var/log/messages for anything involving insmod/modprobe not
finding anything.  do:

	locate iso9660

see if any object files come up in /lib/modules or /usr/src/linux.  if so, do
an insmod -f <path>/iso9660.o

also, look in /proc/filesystems to make sure your kernel can register iso9660
filesystems.

the OS consults fstab on the fly, so your changes are immediate.

pete

begin: Holland, Matt <mdholland@ucdavis.edu> quote
> Hey all,
>
> I seem to have lost the ability to mount CDs on my dual-boot system under
> Linux (Red Hat 7.1).  I can play and rip audio CDs, and I can read CDs in
> Windows, but whenever I issue "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" or
> just "mount /mnt/cdrom", I get the incredibly informative error:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom or too many
> mounted file systems
>
> The /dev/cdrom line in /etc/fstab reads:
>
> /dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660	ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
>
> And of course I've tried lots of other combinations of options that work on
> other machines, to no avail.  As for the error, I'm pretty puzzled, because
> I've tried lots of combinations of options, I know the filesystem type is
> correct, I know the media is fine (works under Windows and on other Linux
> boxes), and I can loopback mount iso filesystems from *.iso images to my
> heart's content (so I can't imagine that there are too many mounted
> filesystems).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Oh, yes, I was also wondering, when you make changes to /etc/fstab, do they
> take effect immediately the next time you try to mount the device, or do you
> have to tell the os to reread /etc/fstab?  This would be good to know for
> troubleshooting.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002