Re: [vox-tech] Loki Disk w/Red Hat

At Thursday, 20 September 2001, William wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:05:01PM -0700, Tom wrote:
>> Found/got a Loki Desk with the Red Hat 7.1 and I can NOT figure out
>> 'How-to' Run it on/in Linux... <sigh>
>>
>> Doesn't seem like it should be that big a Deal to run the Demos...
>>
>> Says to mount the Demo CD-Rom and change to the directory (mnt)
where
>> the directory is mounted (tell me 'how-to' mount please)...
>
>Run the command:
>
>  mount /mnt/cdrom
>
>The disc should spin, and the program should end happily (no errors,
then you
>get your shell prompt bakc).
>
>Then, you can change to that directory:
>
>  cd /mnt/cdrom
>
>-bill!

Be aware that this will only work if your distro of Linux has set
up a mount point of /mnt/cdrom in /etc/fstab. Some distros do not
have the cdrom in /etc/fstab or use a different mount point for the
cdrom. The full way to mount a CD is as follows:

    mount <device> <directory>

Most (all?) Linux distros have /dev/cdrom as the CD device. The directory
you mount can change. In RedHat, it is usually /mnt/cdrom. In Slackware,
it can be either /cdrom or /mnt. So on a RedHat distro the full
mount command is:

    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000