Re: [vox-tech] mutt mailing list support

Re: [vox-tech] mutt mailing list support

Hi Henry et al,

* Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> [010919 20:57], about
> [vox-tech] mutt mailing list support:
:I got fed up with accidentally replying to the list when I had meant to sent
:a private reply, so I decided to get Mutt's mailing list support configured.
:So far so good. Then I set ignore_list_reply_to to true, which should cause
:the reply-to header to be ignored. It does not seem to work; Mutt still
:defaults to sending a reply to the list (vox in this case). Any ideas?

	I was unfamiliar with this flag (how can one know them all? ;), so I
added some of my lists to the 'lists' (tag?  whatever it is), and set
the above option also, and it seemed to work fine.  Can you show us your
'lists' line?  It should contain a string from.. the 'To:' or 'From', I
forget.  (or both?)
I tried it and it worked fine, but!  For testing purposes I actually tried
to do what you're doing [with vox], d'oh!  Wish I wouldn't do that.  It
seems, to me, that it works on some messages, but not others.  Looking at
the headers, it's clear the usual suspect has reared its head again.  mutt
seems to have some builtin logic for determining if something's a list, and
since vox* has so many goddamned names, it isn't always clear.

So instead, I suggest doing what I do,

set reply_to=ask-yes  (or ask-no for you, it's one of those quadoption
things).  Then it'll ask you before it goes into composing the message.  No
thinking necessary! (least not much!)

>-- End of excerpt from Henry House

For the rest of your mailling lists (read: properly configured) the mailling
list support should work just fine.  My original test was with the saclug
list.

HTH!

	-Ajay

(who wonders if nobody has seen the 'munging reply-to considered harmful'
webpages/msgs, or knows that lists setting reply-to violates the mail RFC.)

BTW: Mutt users, check out the mail-followup-to: header, it's useful for
directing where replies to your messages go to..

--
Milpitas, ca	atallam@telocity.net	HempVille, Planet Talarian
			http://os2man.cjb.net/pictures/