Re: [vox-tech] Can't access internet.

Sorry to reply to myself... but I messed up this response.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Sam Peterson wrote:
>
> > What does the route command say?  Type route; could be the route to the
> > gateway at your isp isn't setup.  Type "route add default gw
> > <gateway-ip-address>" to add the route.  If the route is up try pinging the
> > gateway.  Dunno why that wouldn't be setup via dhcp, but ya never know.
> >
> > Otherwise, look at the output from ifconfig, check dmesg to see if there's
> > any errors with the NIC module, double check resolv.conf, host.conf, flush
> > ipchains (ipchains -F), try a differnet dhcp client (pump instead of dhcpcd
> > or dhcpcd instead of pump).
> >
> > That's all I can think of, anybody else?  It does sound like a weird problem.
>
> Routes are not likely to be affected by a kernel recompile.

I missed the fact that this problem preceded the kernel recompile rather
than followed it.

Sam's advice is on target.  Either the dhcp client is not quite as happy
as portrayed (it is not configuring your routing properly), or the
firewall is messing with you.

> Network interface support is very likely to be affected.  Check your
> kernel compile options, and make sure you included support for your NIC.
> If it is a module, you can use lsmod to see if it is loaded.  Also make
> sure the module autoloading feature is enabled, or be prepared to
> explicitly load your modules. Also, if you need to modify
> /etc/modules.conf you should remember to run "depmod -a" before concluding
> that the edits didn't work.

If dhcp really is happy, then this advice is irrelevant.  Sorry.

> > At 02:56 PM 9/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> > >This is really bizarre!  Last Friday I installed  a new kernel (2.2.19),
> > >and have been unable to access the internet in any way since, despite the
> > >fact that dhcp-client connects with my ISP (cable) quite nicely.  I cannot
> > >ping, use ftp, http, smtp, or anything else. I have not tried finger,
> > >figuring that it is pointless to do so.  I can ping my internal network
> > >just fine.
> > >
> > >Figuring I had screwed it up completely, I wiped my entire installation
> > >(well, most of it) and re-installed from the Libranet cdrom, with a stock
> > >2.2.13, and then 2.2.17, which is what is in there now (it is
> > >customized).  No difference.
> > >
> > >Temporarily, I am getting my email onto my work laptop, but this cannot go
> > >on forever.
> > >
> > >I thought it there might be errors in resolv.conf, but it seems fine - the
> > >nameserver addresses are correct (I cheked with my ISP).  I do not have
> > >ipforwardng turned on, but the machine in question is the gateway, so that
> > >is not the problem.
> > >
> > >At this point, I'm not sure where to start investigating.  Would someone
> > >give me a clue or three, or ask the appropriate questions, please?
> > >
> > >TIA
> > >
> > >Cam
> >
> > Sam Peterson
> > Hart Interdisciplinary Programs
> > 2201 Hart Hall
> > University of California, Davis
> > One Shields Avenue
> > Davis, California 95616
> > (530) 752-9332

> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...2k

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing