Re: [vox-tech] Can't access internet.

What does the route command say?  Type route; could be the route to the
gateway at your isp isn't setup.  Type "route add default gw
<gateway-ip-address>" to add the route.  If the route is up try pinging the
gateway.  Dunno why that wouldn't be setup via dhcp, but ya never know.

Otherwise, look at the output from ifconfig, check dmesg to see if there's
any errors with the NIC module, double check resolv.conf, host.conf, flush
ipchains (ipchains -F), try a differnet dhcp client (pump instead of dhcpcd
or dhcpcd instead of pump).

That's all I can think of, anybody else?  It does sound like a weird problem.

At 02:56 PM 9/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>This is really bizarre!  Last Friday I installed  a new kernel (2.2.19),
>and have been unable to access the internet in any way since, despite the
>fact that dhcp-client connects with my ISP (cable) quite nicely.  I cannot
>ping, use ftp, http, smtp, or anything else. I have not tried finger,
>figuring that it is pointless to do so.  I can ping my internal network
>just fine.
>
>Figuring I had screwed it up completely, I wiped my entire installation
>(well, most of it) and re-installed from the Libranet cdrom, with a stock
>2.2.13, and then 2.2.17, which is what is in there now (it is
>customized).  No difference.
>
>Temporarily, I am getting my email onto my work laptop, but this cannot go
>on forever.
>
>I thought it there might be errors in resolv.conf, but it seems fine - the
>nameserver addresses are correct (I cheked with my ISP).  I do not have
>ipforwardng turned on, but the machine in question is the gateway, so that
>is not the problem.
>
>At this point, I'm not sure where to start investigating.  Would someone
>give me a clue or three, or ask the appropriate questions, please?
>
>TIA
>
>Cam

Sam Peterson
Hart Interdisciplinary Programs