Re: [vox-tech] Big Monitors

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I vaguely recall reading that big monitors do not present as  clear an
> image as smaller monitors.  Is this true?  Is there any disadvantage to
> having a 19 or 22 inch monitor as opposed to a 17 inch monitor?

Crispness can sometimes be lacking in larger monitors, but I have seen
some big monitors that had clearer images/displays than smaller
monitors. Partly comes to that thing, "you get what you pay for" and the
thought that increases in diagonal size in monitors leads to a non-linear
(more like a square) increase in price for similar viwed quality.
15" to 30" may only be twice the diagnoal size, but it is ~4 times the
area, and may be 6 to 8 times the price (or more) for nearly equal
quality. (Meaning, dont compare a $500 17" with a $520 21" assuming you
get what you pay for.)

Some  obvious disadvantages to 19" and 21" monitors often include:
More power is consumed = PG&E loves you more.
More expensive initial cost
More costly to ship for delivery and return when they are broken (heavier)
Larger desktop footprint
Tend to break sooner than those monitor sizes nearer to the center of the
 bell curve: 17" seem to last longer on average. Perhaps more people buy
 these, and this given the manufacturers more examples of problems, so
 they can fix these problems early in production. (shorter life?)
Creates problems in office environments as men and women interested in
"pissing contests" all want monitors even bigger that the one that was
just purchased. (I wanna 34" CRT on my desk! Oh yeah? I want a 40" flat
panel back-light active matrix system on my desktop! Oh yeah? i want a
new, high refresh 800 watt projector in my office! Oh yeah!? I want a
90" Plasma based flat panel LCD that can answer my e-mail messages and
gives me foot rubs! Oh yeah!?? I want to have my new screen be the iMax
at the Sony Metreon!)

>From my own experience, they also tend to be more easily broken/distorted
with stray magnetic fields from speakers, other monitors, large UPS, or
laser printers (anything that uses lots of power - especially in surges,
or something that produces sufficient magnetic fields to cause
interference.) And though you have that nifty "degauss" button on many
monitors just for dealing with some damage caused by these fields and
distortion, effects may be cummulative.

Also, it is not fair to compare one of Sony's best 17" with Ed's Discount
barn and their no-name price slashed 19" screens especially when they
appear to be the same price. (Just because it is cheap, does not mean it
is a good deal!)

Another thing is that many cheaper monitors that are larger have higher
dot pitches, and sometimes worse scan rates that lead to bad
refresh. (Good to compute the screen refresh for the resolution you desire
before buying. Many people have problems with refresh less than 50Hz. Some
can get headaches with less than 60Hz. As you increase your resolution to
cover a larger area, your refresh goes down. (Dont just settle for their
add that says refresh of 150Hz because that is probably just at
640x480. ;-) (As a side note, I seem to recall some studies showed that
people who study under flourecent light have been found to "think
slower" than when they are under incandecent lights and the same studies
showed that low refresh rates seemed to have the same effect on slowing
down brains of people when compared to users of high refresh rates... I
bet the study was funded by monitor manufacturers and makers of
incandecent bulbs, but the basic thought is still interresting.)
Many new monitors will compute the screen refresh at the present
resolution (or perhaps just use a lookup table?)

Issues with crispness may reside with people looking to try higher and
higher resolutions with bigger monitors and compare the displayed image to
a smaller monitor using a lower resolutions. For example, 21" at 1200x1600
compared to a 13" at 640x480 is far from fair.

Um. Brain hurts.

Others will likely have other thoughts on this 'cause my brain is not
feeling well right now.

night
-ME