Re: [vox-tech] remote execution question

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 09:32:51PM -0700, William Kendrick wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion for me. :)

I do.

> I've got a RIO MP3 player connector hooked up to one of my Linux boxes,
> and I'd like to be able to copy files to (and, less likely, from) it
> from remote systems.
[snip description of manual approach using scp and ssh]
> I'd like to have a script on all of the other systems on my LAN which
> will do something like this for me.

Did you know that ssh has many many options besides normal telnet-like usage?
You can specify a remote command for example. For extra convenience and
security, set up a key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote end that is
restricted to running a named command. Read the (thorough!) ssh man page for
descriptions of how to do all this.

> I guess it'd be kind of like remote printing with LPD, but instead of
> printing and using LPR/LPD, this is MP3 transfering using SOME_SCRIPT/RIO.

Actually you could do this with lpr, if, for example, you had in
/etc/printcap:

	mp3|Dummy printer for MP3s
		:lp=/dev/null
		:sd=/var/spool/mp3
		:if=/etc/lpd-filters/mp3
		:mx#0
		:sh

and in /etc/lpd-filters/mp3:

	#!/bin/sh
	tmpfile="/tmp/mp3-spooler.$$"
	cat - > $tmpfile
	rio -u $tmpfile
	rm -f $tmpfile

and you could have a shell alias to invoke lpr -Pmp3 as well ;-).

--
Henry House