[vox-tech] remote printing woes

Hi all!  I've got a freshly installed debian system running (named "zen"*)
on my new LAN, and have my deskjet 882c printer connected to it.

I can print fine from zen itself.  I've also got my (currently borked**)
RedHat system set up to use zen's printer remote.  It works fine, too.

I have another debian box with a pretty much identical printcap entry as
the RedHat one, and I can print text to it just fine.  However, I can't
print postscript.

Actually, more specifically, when I print postscript, I get a few lines
of postscript junk at the top of a mostly blank page.  The first program
I tested printing from was Gimp.  I then tried just 'cat'ing a random
".ps" file from the system to "lpr" to see if that worked, and
lo, and behold!, it did!

I looked more closely at how Gimp was trying to print, and noticed it had
a "-l" switch (***) as an argument to "lpr".  Removing this caused it to
print just fine!

I was happy, but found it curious that I had to do this, since Gimp on my
RedHat box printed just fine with the "-l" switch.

I decided to try something else.  This time, Star Office 5.2.  When I went
to print from it, I got the PS gibberish again. :(

So, it wasn't _really_ the "-l" switch.  It must still be some
misconfiguration on this Debian box (the one I'm trying to print to, not
the remote one the printer is connected to; again, I seem to be able to
print just fine from the RedHat box).

Any suggestions?

-bill!

* - I was thinking of naming it 'slave', since it's going to have a bunch
    of shared periphs, but decided to name it the name of the OTHER ship's
    computer from the TV show "Blake's 7" :)

** - Blame Ximian's Red-Carpet, I think. >:^(  I'm gonna head to Fry's and
     grab a copy of RH7.1 I think.

*** - From "lpr"'s man-page:

      -l  Use a filter which allows control characters to be printed and
          suppresses page breaks.

      Huh... I don't understand why removing that would HELP!  /:^[