[vox-tech] The Daily Issue

Each day, an issue with my Win/Linux (RH7.1) box comes up.  Most days I can
fix them myself with a little research, spit, and some prayer.  This issue
I cannot fix up for whatever reason.

I have a 4GB partition on my hard drive, VFAT, which I have shared between
the two OS's; ideally, I'd be able to use this partition to store files
that I can work on either with Word Perfect or Star Office.

For some reason, though, when I am logged in as a non-root user when using
Linux, I cannot affect this partition at all; I can't read files, write
files, or even create directories.  I can do all those things as a root user.

The partition is mounted in my Linux OS as U1, pointing at /dev/hda6.  It
is listed in fstab as such:

         /dev/hda6       u1      vfat    defaults,user   0 0

I have tried using CHMOD on both u1 and /dev/hda6 to give all users full
access to this partition; I have tried various permutations of defaults,
users, owner, rw, etc., in /etc/fstab.  While logged in as root, I have
even tried setting up a new group, disk, and giving both the root account
and my personal account membership in that group.  I have even tried
changing ownership of /u1 from root to my personal account, and was told
that root did not have sufficient privileges.

This is very frustrating.

When using Win2000 on this computer, I normally use Cygwin to access files
on that partition if they're not word processor or graphics files, FWIW.

I'm at a loss here.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K
invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"