[vox-tech] real time in linux

i came across an article 'low latency in the linux kernel' written for
o'reilly's website.  here's a quote i find curious:

  under certain circumstance, it may be possible to run an application
  in a condition known as setuid root.  as the name implies, this
  condition sets the user's ID to root status, raising the application's
  execution to real-time scheduling.

this is NOT my understanding of setuid root executables.  if this were the
case, nice-ing a setuid executable would be meaningless since the application
would get the attention of the kernel whenever it wants attention.

also, there would be no need for 'real time linux' since running an app as
setuid root would imply real time scheduling.

any comments?  am i not understanding this quote properly?

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002