Re: [vox-tech] GPL license clarification

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:21:19AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:

<snip>

> And I type:
>
>    % myprog -o outfile infile
>
> I'll get the desired behavior in both BSD and GNU implementations.
> However, if I type:
>
>    % myprog infile -o outfile
>
> then I'll get the desired behavior only in the GNU implementation.
>
> I think the BSD implementation is the POSIX-compliant behavior, but I
> don't want to think about which options should come before what when I use
> my program and I don't want the other users of my program to think about
> such details either, you know?

Yeah - the problem is, GNU's version does some screwy things, like
switching around the elements of argv, which is *supposed* to be
constant, but GNU ignores that, casting the const away, I assume (very
poor practice, and unsafe, especially if someone decides to use an
array of strings which really *is* constant).  But I'll change the
prototype so that it's not const (and therefore still not POSIX) and
switch 'em around.  If you're using any other GNU features, such as
options with /optional/ arguments, let me know.

Micah