Re: [vox-tech] how to identify ATA/100 cables?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Eric wrote:

> ATA66 *can* use a ATA100 cable, but it will only use
> it as a "40", not a true "80". Visual inspection of
> two cables (one 40 and one 80) side-by-side yields a
> noticeable difference. IF you have any old cables, you
> have something to compare against. If your new cable
> looks exactly like the old one (same size "wires"),
> it's not a ATA100 compatible cable.

A) Only 40 pins carry signals on either cable.  The extra 40 wires in the
   80 conductor cable are connected to ground.  This helps reduce noise
   problems.
B) ATA66 and higher need the 80 conductor cable in order to run at full
   speed.

I also found this site which discusses real-world performance.
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT011701000000