[vox-tech] GPL license clarification

Hey guys.  I need some clarification with the GPL license agreement.

1. If I use the code in-house (never release it to the public), am I still
   required to release the source?  I'm using a piece of GPL code at work
   and although the program doesn't give away any company secrets
   (although I guess if you're really smart you might be able to figure
   *something* out), it's not really a program other people will find
   useful and it'd be lame to post bunch of unuseful software on our
   website.

2. I'm using a copy of getopt from the GNU library because the copy of
   getopt that comes with DJGPP (GCC for DOS) is the BSD version that's
   not very flexible.  So I just compiled getopt.c from the GCC source
   and link it with my program, which seems to work fine.  But getopt.c
   is GPL, not LGPL.  Does it mean my program also needs to be GPL?

3. Assuming the answer to #2 is "yes", another question: I know you can
   write programs in Linux without GPL-ing your program -- is that because
   the C library is dynamically linked, not statically?  What if you
   were on a system that doesn't support dynamic linking?

4. If getopt.c *were* LGPL, could I link it statically without making my
   program GPL?

Thanks!

--
Mark K. Kim