January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Linux Modem Compatibility

--- Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Eric wrote:
>
> > BTW: I felt rich and spent about $13 on a cat5
> cable
> > with 2 RJ11 connectors for my modem connection. It
> is
> > being sold as such by HP. I'm fairly skeptical by
> > nature, but I kid you not, it seems that pages are
> > Sure, maybe I'm deceiving myself (so what). Sure,
> > spent $13 (and I don't care). But if my perception
> of
> > my online experience is the only thing that has
> > improved, I'm still happy.
> > ERic
> > I'm wondering if there is a logical (scientific
> even)
> > reason it would be faster from the wall to the
> modem (?).
>
> If the speed is improved, it is because there is
> less interference or less
> attenuation now.  You just replaced, what, 0.1% of
> the copper between you
> and the central office, so those few feet would have
> had to be introducing
> most of the interference, if that was the problem.
> Remember that this
> interference would have to be electrical noise in
> the audio range, not the
> typical gigahertz transmissions from your processor.
>  Is your audio system
> poorly grounded? If we consider attenuation, I think
> the line impedance at
> voice frequencies seems unlikely to differ much
> between regular wire and
> cat5.  Maybe (one of) your RJ11 connectors were
> (was) bad?
>
> Actually, the placebo effect is scientifically
> documented, so we don't
> really have to reach too far for an answer that
> meets your stipulation. :)

> Jeff Newmiller

After some contemplation, I think I like responses at
the bottom better... ; ) As a matter of fact, I was
getting 96.9 The Eagle on my "real" phone line and
over my PC speakers. It was kinda neat on the phone,
because it functioned as "hold" music when I had to
run a quick errand in the house... but I figured it
was definitely "not a good thing". It has either gone
away or lessened recently after getting a phone jack
replaced. Even if it is still present, perhaps cat5
gives all signals "more room" resulting in less
interference to my modem signal (?).
ERic