January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] sid

I've been using sid for over a year now and have encountered very few
serious problems.  Sometimes dependencies will get out of sync and a
package will be unusable for a day or two, but this doesn't happen
very often.  If you read the debian-user mailing list right before
doing an upgrade, you may find out about broken packages and can place
them on hold so that they don't get upgraded to a broken state.  One
advantage that sid has over woody is that if something breaks, a
fix can be available the next day whereas if a problem sneaks into
woody, I believe you have to wait for two weeks for the fix to become
available.

In general, sid doesn't break as much as the name 'unstable' implies.
I really think they should rename it to 'untested' because 'unstable'
scares a lot of people away from using it.  I can only remember two
times when I had serious problems:  once when openssl and openssh got
out of sync (fix available the next day I believe) and once when a
minor typo in libpam made it impossible to login (a fix was available
from incoming.debian.org within minutes of the faulty package being
released).

Hope this info helps.

Matt

--