January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Linux Modem Compatibility

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Eric wrote:

> BTW: I felt rich and spent about $13 on a cat5 cable
> with 2 RJ11 connectors for my modem connection. It is
> being sold as such by HP. I'm fairly skeptical by
> nature, but I kid you not, it seems that pages are
> Sure, maybe I'm deceiving myself (so what). Sure, I
> spent $13 (and I don't care). But if my perception of
> my online experience is the only thing that has
> improved, I'm still happy.
> ERic
> I'm wondering if there is a logical (scientific even)
> reason it would be faster from the wall to the modem (?).

If the speed is improved, it is because there is less interference or less
attenuation now.  You just replaced, what, 0.1% of the copper between you
and the central office, so those few feet would have had to be introducing
most of the interference, if that was the problem. Remember that this
interference would have to be electrical noise in the audio range, not the
typical gigahertz transmissions from your processor.  Is your audio system
poorly grounded? If we consider attenuation, I think the line impedance at
voice frequencies seems unlikely to differ much between regular wire and
cat5.  Maybe (one of) your RJ11 connectors were (was) bad?

Actually, the placebo effect is scientifically documented, so we don't
really have to reach too far for an answer that meets your stipulation. :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing