Re: [vox-tech] synchronizing several computers

Re: [vox-tech] synchronizing several computers

Hmm... I'd be very weary of using NFS (or AFS, for that matter) over the
Internet.  NFS is very insecure, even if you squash root and all
that.  AFS has some user-based access control stuff, but I don't think
it's meant to be used over the Internet therefore isn't that secure,
either.  (PS: I think AFS is proprietary and expensive to license; I've
heard there's a clone for Linux, though.)

I have a private webpage that has all my bookmarks and contact info.  My
original plan was to allow the user (me) to add and remove bookmarks and
contact info from the website, but I got lazy with the program and now I
just edit the data file as a text file from the shell :P At least it gives
me a place to store everything...

I think some people use LDAP to keep the bookmarks synchronized.  There
are several websites that offer Internet-based bookmarks, also.

As for keeping data synchronized, thank goodness my work stops once I get
home...  If I were to share work data at home, I'd consider setting up a
CVS server somewhere on the Internet and use SSH to download/update files.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/