Re: [vox-tech] Cygwin vs. MingW?

Here is a FAQ specific to the differences.
http://www.mingw.org/x86-win32-ports.shtml

I like the cygwin tools myself,
1.  They're what I am using now to web browse remotely
2.  They're what I knew about
3.  They maintain the POSIX stuff
4.  They use their own compilere.
     The FAQ indicates that the others use MS compilers for stuff

My goal is to become more familiar with Linux/UNIX tools and the mindset necessary to take full advantage of them.

It actually proved useful troubleshooting a permissions issue on a lot of migrated data.  After pulling down a report, I needed to find the directories that had 'broken' permissions.  They had '?unknown' as the username.  The report had 80,000 lines, Excell can't open that many lines.  So, grep '?unknown' > output.txt, brought it down to 14,000 lines, then a SORT for unigue lines helped me identify 143 user directories where the permissions were broken.

Now all that remains, is a little editing and I can generate a script to repair the permissions issues.  That was just to cool.

-sp