January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] VIM

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Jay Strauss wrote:

> I did :mkvimrc and have editted it.  I can use gvim and it does syntax color
> coding, though I sure don't like the colors for perl, are there
> different/better/more standard syntax def files for perl?  It does recognize
> screen changes in gvim automatically (that's a good thing).

You can certainly look for a different syntax file on the Internet and
replace the built-in syntax file (probably called "perl.vim").  If
there's someone else who doesn't like the built-in perl syntax then they
might have made one and put it up on the 'net for download.  I am just
thankful there's any syntax highlighting at all for the files I do edit :)

Alternatively, you can edit the "perl.vim" file yourself.  It's
semi-understandable if you know regular expressions.

> I'd perfer not to use it from the command line as opposed to gvim.  How
> would I go about trying to get a color xterm going?

When I had the color xterm, I didn't compile it but someone else; I'd
offer to send you the binary but I apparently no longer have an account
on the system.  Maybe someone else who has UCD ECE account can send it to
you; the color xterm is hidden in some directory in /opt.

Apparently colors are handled in a non-standard manner under HP/UX so you
can't just compile xterms with "./configure && make && make install" as
you would on most systems.  Apparently you gotta tweak some things.
Unfortunately, I don't know what those tweaks are.  Maybe there's some
info on it on the Internet, or perhaps the xterm README will say something
about it.

> Here are the contents of my .vimrc (duplicate entries exist but I don't know
> if there is some special sequence I have to put these in)

Most options don't require you to put them in sequence, and you can get
rid of the duplicates.  Some options, most notably "syntax on" and the
related options, do need to come in order.  For example, "set
background=dark" should come before "syntax on" in order for the syntax
highlighting to make use of the "background=dark" option.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/