Re: [vox-tech] PacBell DSL rust...

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Ed Glass wrote:

> I've attempted to get the DSL connection working on Mandrake by using
> Roaring Penquins PPPoE framis without any effect.  I'm not sure what
> direction to go in next.

It did work for me around late October of last year with Mandrake 7.1.
What settings are you using?

> Also: PacBell DSL will not allow mail relaying.,. IOW: the PacBell
> mailserver is the ONLY mailserver I'm allowed to use.  Is this ALSO the
> case when attempting to use sendmail on your home (Linux) machine?

AFAIK Pacbell doesn't filter traffic (but I could be wrong :P).  You
should be able to use any mailserver.  However, most mailservers won't let
you connect from an unauthorized IP address so it's more likely that the
mail server you're trying to connect is refusing your connection.  This is
for security reasons and is considered a good practice.  (Note: Many don't
like mailservers that allow unauthorized connections because it makes spam
tracing very difficult.)

> If this IS the case; Does anyone know of any local ISPs offering DSL
> service that AREN'T working for the man?

Nope.  Sorry.  There's been some rumor on this list about a wireless DSL
coming to town in some months, tho.

BTW, everyone -- my DSL from Verizon finally went down when the storm hit
a couple nights ago.  It didn't come back on the next day so I called and
they reset the DSLAM (the device you connect to on the telephone company's
end of the phone line) and everything was fine :)

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/