Re: [vox-tech] how to identify ATA/100 cables?

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:35:34AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> how does one go about identifying flat ribbon cables that are capable of
> supporting ATA/100 drive transfers?

Trial and fail in my case.

> i understand that these cables are different somehow (better shielding?)
> but look exactly like the other cables which can only support ATA/66 and
> ATA/33.   or am i wrong about this?

You're absolutely right.
I guess the manufacturer of these cables just make it, test statistically,
then if the batch pass the test, then it's 33/66/100 or whatever.
I'm using old ide cable taken from old i486 mobo, and it still capable of
100 with a cheap hdd swap case. I have not noticed any problem so far.