Re: [vox-tech] [OT] mac hard drive has become read only

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:51:02PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> a friend "did something" to his (non-linux) mac and says that he now can't
> write to disk anymore.  it sounds like he somehow managed to configure the
> partitions to be mounted read-only.  he tried rebooting (many times), and i
> have no knowledge of mac systems.
>
> this is for mac-os 7.

AFAIK Mac OS has on support for mounting a partition read-only (no mount
command ;-), but there are two things that could make the Finder refuse to
allow changes to a disk:

1. 'Locked' checkbox in get info window is on (click on hard drive icon,
   choose 'Get info' from file menu in Finder).

2. File sharing is on and is somehow fscked up (turn off file sharing in File
   Sharing control panel, or disable File Sharing extension using Extension
   Manager, then reboot).

Actually I believe the MacOS partition tables do support a read-only flag,
but there is no way to access this flag except using a partitioning utility.
Did 'something' that the friend did involve such a program?

(NB the preceeding is going off memory, since I've not used a Mac for two
years.)

--
Henry House