Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Debian on Laptop

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 09:50:39PM -0700, pblickiss@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> Section "Pointer"
>          Protocol "ps/2"
>          Device "/dev/mouse/"
>          Emulate 3 buttons
> End Section

  The trailing slash on the Device line above is definitely wrong...
change to:
  Device "/dev/mouse"

> My machine is set up to load into X on start-up.  Is there anyway in
> AfterStep to exit X windows without use of the mouse so I can try running
> X again with gpm stopped?

  If a xdm like program is starting up X (which is the normal method on
Debian), then you need to switch to the console and then stop the xdm like
program you use...  /etc/init.d/xdm stop
(or gdm or kdm or whatever, you use)

  If you manually started up X, via startx, xinit, X11, X, or any other
"start one time" type commands... you can kill the current running X server
by hitting C-A-Backspace.

  If you have X starting out of /etc/inittab (which many other distributions
do), you have to edit /etc/inittab and comment out the startup line
then "kill -HUP 1" to get init to reload it's config file, or you have to
change to a run level that doesn't use X, via any number of methods like
("init 2" or "telinit 2", but that is assuming run level 2 is a runlevel
without init...)

...now I'm replying to your original post.
>Debian 2.2 on my inherited Toshia 430 CDT.
[...]
>This evening I loaded X and was surprised to find that the pointing
>stick didn't work.  The cursor starts in the middle of the screen and
>the second I touch the pointing stick, the cursor jumps to the bottom
>of the screen, and will only move right to left.

  The system is not configured to talk to the type of mouse you have...
this is a minor problem which is common until the mouse it actually
tested.

  I suspect that your laptop mouse pretends to be a PS/2 mouse and that
the laptop hardware relays any PS/2 data from the external mouse port
unmolested.  If it doesn't you'll just continue to get very erratic
mouse movements...

  There are three places to check (/etc/gpm.conf, /etc/X11/XF86Config,
/dev/mouse)... if you never use the mouse on the console then only one
place needs to be configured (/etc/X11/XF86Config) but then you also need
to make sure that gpm is not installed.

  On a typical debian system gpm talks to the actual mouse, manages cutting
and pasting on the text console, and relays any mouse events found there to
a pipe that all other processes that want mouse data can read it.

I'll cover the "typical" case first...
########
  Gpm needs to know what type of mouse is connected (to know what
protocol it talks) and what protocol to send out the pipe it creates
(/dev/gpmdata).  Gpm supports converting between many mouse protocols
so you can configure everything to read a common protocol and when
you change the mouse type you only need to change one file.
  In the example below gpm is told to talk to a ps2 mouse and repeat
all the information as MouseSystems mouse type, this information is
available in /dev/gpmdata.

  Then you configure the X server to talk to the mouse... it needs to know
which protocol the mouse talks and where to read the mouse data.  In the
example below (read MouseSystems and from /dev/mouse).

  The last thing to checkout is that /dev/mouse points to the gpm output
file... run "ls -l /dev/mouse" and you should see the following
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root       12 Aug 13  2000 /dev/mouse -> /dev/gpmdata
If you don't see the line above run "ln -sf /dev/gpmdata /dev/mouse" to
setup the link...

/etc/gpm.conf
=====
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
type=ps2
repeat_type=msc
=====

/etc/X11/XF86Config
=====
Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection
=====
########

  Now if you want X talking directly to the mouse... you need to make
sure gpm is removed "apt-get remove gpm", make sure that the /dev/mouse
points at your correct mouse device (which could be many things but is
most likely /dev/psaux), and configure the X server to talk to the mouse
using the correct protocol... and the section below is most likely what
you want.

/etc/X11/XF86Config
=====
Section "Pointer"