Re: [vox-tech] Voodoo 3500 TV tuner

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> Gabe, et al,
>
> I'm running Mandrake 8.0.  XFree 4.0.x, kernel 2.4.3.  Somebody please
> help before I go nuts!  I don't wanna boot to Windows to watch TV!

Read the README. The v3tv guys are extremely inactive (last update in may, i
think). Apparently, XFree86 4.x uses the video memory differently than the 3.x
series, which causes problems with the current drivers.

I have xawtv working, but I cannot change focus, as it causes the image to
disappear until i force a redraw by changing channels. I recall seeing
something about forcing xawtv to redraw every frame in software, or something,
but never really looked into it.

my solution : i'm waiting until they fix it :)
i have pondered looking at the code and seeing if i can spot the problem, but
motivation has not yet kicked in.

frankly, i'm getting a little disappointed with the vd3500.
it hasn't met the kickass voodoo quality factor I have always considered 3dfx
to have.

I guess my next card will be an ATI. Maybe by then the v3tv guys will have
fixed the XF 4.x problem, and I can give you my vd3500  so you can do Picture in
Picture ;)

-Gabe