[vox-tech] Re: [vox] forget my previous post

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Sam Peterson wrote:

> The processor was a box retail, came with AMD's supplied heat sink and
> processor fan.  I did remove the plastic film before I put the heat sink
> on.  Is the one they supply inadequate?  Should I buy a different
> one?  Also, someone mentioned that once the heat sink is removed and
> another one's reapplied, the thermal conductivity is ruined.  Is there any
> way to fix that?

The one supplied in the box is adequate.  It's what I'm using now.

I also read that you shouldn't use a used heat sink.  I think the
uniformity of the paste is ruined.  As far as cleaning it, I don't have
any clue.  This might be useful:
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/other/silver_paste_cleaner/

There was also something about cleaning a CPU posted on /. a few days ago
with the article on Intel & AMD chip heat survivability.

I read somewhere your HDs may have a significant impact on the total
temperature of the system.

FL