Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] forget my previous post

At 09:50 AM 9/25/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>begin: Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> quote
> >
> > I'm leaving the case open from now on and that seems to have me running
> > around 55 degrees or so,
>
>sam i don't know about the truth of this statement, but i've been told that
>your machine is better off with the case on.  this is because it makes the
>fans work better -- air flow is faster through a restricted opening (this is
>called the venturi effect by physicists.  basically,
>
>      \rho v A = constant
>
>where \rho is the density of the fluid (air), v is the speed of the air's
>flow lines and A is the cross section area of the opening that the fluid is
>going through.  so make A smaller, and v has to increase.  faster air flow
>through the computer.

I know little to nothing about physics, and I don't doubt you're
right.  The only thing is, the air isn't properly circulating through my
case (no case fan blowing stuff out the rear of the case or causing air
flow across the mobo).  In this circumstance, having the case off seems to
help, since the hot air just seems to collect around the cpu.  'course,
like I said, I'm clueless about this stuff.

That's a good thing to know though.  I'll be sure to leave the case shut
once I get my fans get installed.  Thanks Pete!

> > Thanks for the advice everyone!!  Lordy, I probably should have moved this
> > over to vox-tech.  Ah well.
>
>someone might have the same question a month or even a year later.  by being
>in the vox-tech archives, you're helping them solve the same problems you're
>experiencing now.  nobody will (should?) go to the vox archives to solve a
>technical problem.

Sowwy :-), original message is posted below for posterity.

>pete
>
>ps- i have the "coolermeister" fan.  it's fairly loud, but is the biggest,
>baddest fan i've ever seen.

CPU or Case fan?  Sounds good to me!