[vox-tech] Re: [vox] forget my previous post

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] forget my previous post

begin: Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> quote

> I'm leaving the case open from now on and that seems to have me running
> around 55 degrees or so,

sam i don't know about the truth of this statement, but i've been told that
your machine is better off with the case on.  this is because it makes the
fans work better -- air flow is faster through a restricted opening (this is
called the venturi effect by physicists.  basically,

     \rho v A = constant

where \rho is the density of the fluid (air), v is the speed of the air's
flow lines and A is the cross section area of the opening that the fluid is
going through.  so make A smaller, and v has to increase.  faster air flow
through the computer.

that being said, out of the 4 computer that are in this room, the two hottest
ones have no case on.  :)   like i said, this is just what i've been told.  i
can't say if it's true or not.  it sounds good, though.  :)

> Thanks for the advice everyone!!  Lordy, I probably should have moved this
> over to vox-tech.  Ah well.

someone might have the same question a month or even a year later.  by being
in the vox-tech archives, you're helping them solve the same problems you're
experiencing now.  nobody will (should?) go to the vox archives to solve a
technical problem.

pete

ps- i have the "coolermeister" fan.  it's fairly loud, but is the biggest,
baddest fan i've ever seen.