Re: [vox-tech] Redhat/FTP/Win2k Question

At Monday, 24 September 2001, Justin wrote:
>Anyways, onto my question.  I just set up a
>linux box running Redhat 7.1 and got everything up and working ok.
I have
>a local network going, between that machine and my win2k computer.
All
>connections are good and working.  I can telnet and ping fine.  My
>only problem comes when I go to FTP to the linux box.  I'm using
CuteFTP,
>and go to the address of my linux machine (10.10.10.1), and it says
Socket
>Connected, waiting for welcome message, and it takes forever to
log in!!
>Literally, it takes like 2 full minutes before it logs in.  Then it's
>fine.  Now, telnet comes up within like 1 sec and is ready to go,
but FTP
>seems to stall ...

Which version of CuteFTP? Some earlier versions contained a sort
of spy/ad-ware that would go out onto the net. This may be causing
the delay. I would second the recommendation of ws_ftp, since it
has none of this sorted history that CuteFTP does.

>I'm using whatever the default FTP server is that
>comes with RH, I think it's WUFTP or something like that.  Any one
have any
>ideas why it might take so long?  And what I might do to fix it?  I'm
>stumped.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

wuftp also has a history for many remote exploits. Make sure you
keep it behind a firewall on your private LAN if you want to stick
with it. Alternative FTP packages are proftp and ncftpd.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000