Re: [vox-tech] Redhat/FTP/Win2k Question

Re: [vox-tech] Redhat/FTP/Win2k Question

justin,

does it take 2 full minutes when you try to ftp into your linux box from
another linux/unix box?  or is it just from the win2k machine?

have you tried to use a different ftp client?  when i used windows, i used to
use uhhh... ... ws_ftp, and was very happy with it.

also, is ftp being started by inetd.conf or are you running the server all
the time?

one important tip -- use tcpdump on your linux box.  it'll tell you if
ftp packets are being delayed in reaching the linux box, or if ftp packets
are reaching the linux box but linux is (for whatever reason) delayed in
responding to them.

i remember hearing somewhere that microsoft did something screwy with ftp.
slightly changed the protocol somehow.  but since i don't use windows very
much, i didn't really pay much attention.  i think they "enhanced" it or
something like that.

lastly, 1 or 2 minutes is a good long time.  check your ftp logs, and try to
match up the timestamp in the logs with the actuall time you started to make
the ftp connection.  make sure the times on both machines are in sync before
doing this, though.

pete

begin: Justin Howell <tekisama@earthlink.net> quote
> Hey All,
>
> I just joined the list when I found out there was a LUG at UCD (I start there this fall).  I hope to make it to some of your meetings, sounds like a good group you got going here.
>
> Anyways, onto my question.  I just set up a linux box running Redhat 7.1 and got everything up and working ok.  I have a local network going, between that machine and my win2k computer.  All connections are good and working.  I can telnet and ping fine.  My only problem comes when I go to FTP to the linux box.  I'm using CuteFTP, and go to the address of my linux machine (10.10.10.1), and it says Socket Connected, waiting for welcome message, and it takes forever to log in!!  Literally, it takes like 2 full minutes before it logs in.  Then it's fine.  Now, telnet comes up within like 1 sec and is ready to go, but FTP seems to stall ...
>
> I'm using whatever the default FTP server is that comes with RH, I think it's WUFTP or something like that.  Any one have any ideas why it might take so long?  And what I might do to fix it?  I'm stumped.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Justin

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002