January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Redhat/FTP/Win2k Question

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Justin Howell wrote:
> Anyways, onto my question.  I just set up a linux box running Redhat
> 7.1 and got everything up and working ok.  I have a local network
> going, between that machine and my win2k computer.  All connections
> are good and working.  I can telnet and ping fine.  My only problem
> comes when I go to FTP to the linux box.  I'm using CuteFTP, and go to
> the address of my linux machine (10.10.10.1), and it says Socket
> Connected, waiting for welcome message, and it takes forever to log
> in!!  Literally, it takes like 2 full minutes before it logs in.
> Then it's fine.  Now, telnet comes up within like 1 sec and is ready
> to go, but FTP seems to stall ...

uh-huh.

> I'm using whatever the default FTP server is that comes with RH, I
> think it's WUFTP or something like that.  Any one have any ideas why
> it might take so long?

Yep.

> And what I might do to fix it?

Maybe.

> I'm stumped.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Your FTP server is probably attempting a revers DNS lookup of the IP
address of your client.

Since your client is on a reserved Class A network (10.x.y.z) there should
*not* be a DNS "out there" that can offer an "authoritative" in-addr-arpa
range response in reverse lookup for hostname (FQDN). (More info on what I
say here is available in "DNS and BIND"

Try this:
Go to your FTP server on your private network and login as root.

As root, edit your file "/etc/hosts"
add an entry in "/etc/hosts" for your client stations that will be using
FTP to the server.

format:
# This is a comment as t starts with a "#"
#I.P.address.here	hostname here althostname2 alt./alt.hostname3
#example.here.o.k.	another.hostname and.yet.another and.one.more
10.0.0.1		mygateway.mydomain.com mygateway
10.0.0.2		brogus.mydomain.com mygateway
10.0.0.3		uhhh-huh-huh-huh.mydomain.com
10.0.0.4		myhostnameislongerthanyourhostname.mydomain.com

This should solve your problem for long wait tim for connects with
ftp. Please let us know if this works, or does not work for you

-ME