Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Henry House wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:58:05AM -0700, Viswanath P wrote:
> > Hi LinuxUsers,

[...]

> > 3.)  Whenever I start netscape it took around 4-5
> > mins.
> >      to come to normal mode whereby one can type the
> >      webaddress to load.  It stays idle for a while
> >      before coming to live.  But, this does not
> > happens
> >      with Konqueror or opera.
>
> Netscape is, sadly, a program that has a lot of bugs. You might try upgrading
> to the latest version is 4.78 available from
> <ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.78/unix>. Good luck ---
> I've had lots of frustration with Netscape.

This kind of delay can also occur if the first nameserver listed in
/etc/resolv.conf is invalid.  It will take about three minutes for the
system to give up asking each nameserver what the IP address is of the
host you are trying to connect to and go to the next nameserver.  Two bad
entries usually yields a six minute delay.

I think you can edit nameservers in linuxconf, but I am not a redhat user
so I don't know.  I do know you can look in /etc/resolv.conf with any
editor and check ip numbers against what your ISP tells you.  As far as I
know, the only "automatic" network protocol that sets these values for you
is DHCP, which would be used by some ADSL connections but mostly through
ethernet connections in institutional networks (university, corporate).
Otherwise, you have to set them yourself based on information supplied by
your ISP.

If clearing out the netscape configuration files that Peter suggested
actually fixes the problem, then the nameservers are unlikely to be the
problem.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing