Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

hi viswanath,

so after you delete .netscape, the problem fixes itself but returns a few
days later?   that's just wierd.  i'm afraid i have no idea why this would be
happening, other than to say "it's probably a network thing".

here are some more suggestions that come off the top of my head:

1- use a different version of netscape.  is there an update for your
   particular operating system?  if not, try to find an earlier version of
   netscape for your OS (rpm or deb).

2- completely uninstall netscape (assumming you installed a version off of
   rpm or deb), download netscape from netscape.com and install that version.

3- as root:
		cp -r /home/viswanath/.netscape /etc/mynetscape
		find /etc/mynetscape | xargs chown root.users
		find /etc/mynetscape | xargs chmod go-w
   as viswanath:
      ln -s /etc/mynetscape /home/.netscape

4- also, you might want to play with attr (similar to DOS's chattr) to make
   the netscape config files "immutable".

rationale:
1- there might be a bug in the packaging of your OS's netscape.
2- perhaps your OS plays with the config files.  by installing a non-OS
   specific netscape, you might circumvent the monkeying with config files
3- sounds like something is munging with your config files.  by making them
   owned by root and not writable, you prevent this.
4- same as 3

note that options 3 and 4 are "inelegant" in the sense that they don't really
address the cause of what's happening (which is beyond me at this point), but
they might alleviate the symptoms.

make a backup of your bookmarks and plugin files on floppy before doing any
of this stuff.

that's the best i can come up with.  hth.

pete

begin: Viswanath P <viswap@yahoo.com> quote