Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

begin: Viswanath P <viswap@yahoo.com> quote

> Hi LinuxUsers,
>
>     I am using RedHat 7.1.  Following are the problems
> which I encounter frequently.  I don't know whether
> these are bugs or my ignorance.  Kindly clarify me.
>
> 1.)  Whenever I lock the screen and if it is idle
>      for more time(5 hrs). then, the display becomes
>      black and I could not see anything in my
> computer.      I have to telnet to this machine quit
> and restart.
>      I have tried to disable both the poweroff in the
>      bios and also the screen saver but in vain.

ok, i assume this is X we're talking about (there are console lockers too,
but they're uncommonly used).  if you are talking about the console,
look at

	man setterm

in particular, see the "blank" option.  if my 2nd suggestion below doesn't
work, come back to this one.

next, you may want to look at some kernel options for APM.  in particular,
under "general setup" | "advanced power management bios support".  there are
some APM settings which you may want to read about and experiment with.

lastly, X has it's own power management utility.  i don't know the exact
syntax or capability, but i remember seeing it when i was doing some research
on how to disable the bell under X.  look at:

	man xset

and in particular, look at the "dpms" and "s" options.

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002