Re: [vox-tech] Loki - CD

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Tom wrote:

> Well, can mount the CD - Can not figure out how to run the Demos that
> are there -the Read me is of no help
>
> Did what I think it said - but NO demo ran... don't guess I'll get to
> Demo these games (Loki don't answer -so much for support)

When you post a problem, you should also include a summary of what you
have tried.  There are probably 5 different ways to do what you need, but
you need to let others know what you have tried so stuff doesn't get
rehash like:
"Well, try A."
"I already tried A."
"Well, try B."
etc.

When you have followed all the directions that were given to you, and it
doesn't work, make an effort to find the answer yourself.  The Internet
has literally opened up the world for your perusal.  My personal favorite
search engine is google.com .  In your case, you can try to find the
answer on Loki's website.  When those resources have been exhausted, I
would post to this mailing list as a last resort either for clarification
or for other's opinion.  This shows that at least you've put some work
into trying to find the answer yourself.  Also, there may be other gems in
your search that will prove useful or related to your problem at hand.

Might I suggest you start with documents that are free at the Linux
Documentation Project?  The URL is http://www.linuxdoc.org .  The guides
"Linux System Administration Made Easy" & "The Linux System
Administrators' Guide" seem to be a good read for someone just starting
out using Linux.  The LUGOD library is also a great resource for reading
material.

As for the ease of use in Linux, it was not designed to be "easy" to use.
It was designed with Unix in mind (at least in my POV).  Only recently has
the push for cool install/user interfaces been in the forefront, so it's
not as easy as Windoze.  I learned most of my knowledge basis in
Linux/Unix with a book called "Harley Hahn's Student Guide to Unix".  It
was a required book for one of my first Computer Science classes, and I
learned more as I read the book and the postings on this list.

So I guess what I'm saying is, a mailing list can only carry one so far.
There are some things one has to learn on one's own.  Even when you got
started in Windoze, you must have wondered "what's an IRQ?", "how do I
make a shortcut in the Programs menu?", etc.  You probably looked in the
Windows Help system for some of these answers.  Well, Linux also has this
"Linux Help system".  It's consists of the great documentation project
called the Internet, books, and partly, mailing lists such as this one.

Foo