Re: [vox-tech] Disk Space Command

(Sorry to reply again, but)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I've had some kind of crash and the last 50 megs of my hard disk have
> been taken up with something.  I can't find a core file.  However, I
> know that there is a command that will show you which of your files are
> taking up the most space.  Bill posted it once.  Can anybody tell me
> what that command is?

Looking for core files?
# find / -iname \*core\* -print > /tmp/coresearch.txt

find all files across your filesystem that contain the a case insensitive
name "core" and print the location for dumping into that file
/tmp/coresearch.txt

would hit on:
myCorefile
corefile
icore
CoRe
CORE
corE
corel

Likely wont get hidden files (those that start with a "." but you could
tack on an or to the search and include them as well.

# find . -iname \*core\* -print -o -iname .\*core\* -print
or perhaps use another kind of "or"

Beutiful thing about *NIX is that you often have several solutions to the
same problem. :-)

Or if you are feeling close to the lunatic fringe, you could just go
through and blindly delete al files named core in the users /home dir:
(You probably don't want to do this, but you could if you wanted to...)

# find /home -name core -exec rm -f () \; >> /dev/null 2>&1 &

-ME