Re: [vox-tech] cdrdao read error

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Nick Donnelly wrote:
> Anybody else get a read error on every single sector of a CD when
> copying an audio CD on-the-fly with cdrdao? I can send a transcript
> of the errors...

Never used that tool, so this is general info/suggestion you
probably have checked before this e-mail reached you. Someone with more
experience on this application will probably have more insight. Until
then...

Is the CD-rom disk/drive in use/playing a cd or controlled by another
device? Some sort of auto-mounter or auto-cd-player controlling the the cd
and locking/blocking ther control?

I dont know your level of experience but are these permission problems
reported from the application trying to access devices not available to
the UID calling the app?

Perhaps you are not root and trying to read from an actual device /dev/hdc
or /dev/sdb and you do not have permissions to read that device in /dev
or ownership.

Maybe the default config for the reader util is set to use hdc when you
have hdd or hdb or mayve sr0 ?

On the fly read and writes for IDE/EIDE disks being burned that share the
same interface have been a problem in the past (partly due to speed issues
with master/slave on the same interface and interrupt handling for one
drive use at a time on the same interface. (Say reading from Master on
primary IDE interface and writing to slave on same primary interface.)

I would not expect you to see read error in such a case though, but it is
up to the application to determine what kind of observations equate what
kinds of errors - well, for the most part anyway. ]:>

If you are using SCSI, then ignore all of that above on contention for
interface/bus access.

If you know you have specified the proper cd-rom device in the /dev dir,
then why not try to cat the device into a file, or use dd to read in x
number of blocks as y bytes per block?

-ME