Re: [vox-tech] Newbie NIC diagnostics

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 06:37:58PM +0000, Chuck Polisher wrote:
> Donald Dunn wrote:
> >
> > Looking for an source of info (online preferred) for diagnosing Linux
> > ethernet,TCP/IP NIC configurations.  I could just ask my question,
> > but I'd rather do it myself.

Tough to recommend one source because there are several elements to getting
packets to sucessfully travel to and fro:

1. Hardware recognized by kernel (check dmesg or /var/log/kern.log; try
   'modprobe <driver>').

2. Correct kernel routing tables, gateway IP addresses, etc. (check
   /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n, read the NAG below for theory).

3. Correct network router / switch / hub / cable configuration. (check link
   lights on each device, read usernet FAQs for ethernet, cisco, etc; read
	vendor docs).

I've always found that typing something like 'HP vectra ethernet Linux' into
Google yields useful information. (E.g, I used that search to find a message
in a mailing list archive that told me to use the lance driver for HP Vectra
build-in ethernet.) Try both standard Google (web pages) and Google groups
(usenet).

A great resource for theory is ``Unix System Administration Handbook'', by
Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, and Hein. We just happen to have the 3rd edition in
the LUGOD library :-).

--
Henry House